shedkm have designed 160 new-build family homes in Bolton for Capital&Centric’s bold new ‘Neighbourhood’ scheme, which has been submitted to planning this week.
The 6.2 acre masterplan spans across four adjacent sites, close to the town’s interchange and railway station, and will aim to dismantle pre-conceived ideas of what edge of town neighbourhoods should look like, creating a modern and inclusive community.
Neighbourhood Bolton will include one- to four-bedroom, energy-efficient two- and three- storey terraced homes and will encourage multi-generational, diverse living.
Key design recommendations submitted include:
- Repairing streets with strong building lines and homes that confidently address the street
- Shared gardens for residents and new public spaces for the wider community
- A range of different sized homes to meet varied needs and attract a diverse community, and a new community facility at its heart
- A coherent design language that stitches the separate sites together
- Green streets that reduce car dominance, enhance biodiversity and accommodate safe areas for play
- Homes with a bold, contemporary feel, with high levels of sustainability
Darren Jones, shedkm Associate Director, said: “Neighbourhood is a crucial project in providing much-needed affordable family housing for Bolton. We look forward to bringing our expertise in regenerating places across the north of England to create a new town centre community, with our design-led and distinctive townhouses providing high quality, sustainable homes set around green streets and shared public spaces.”
Richard Spackman, Director of Capital&Centric, said: “Loads of work has gone into getting the Neighbourhood concept spot on, with bold, contemporary homes, community amenities and workspaces set to totally change the feel of the area around Bolton’s train and bus stations. For us, this is all about taking the design-led approach you see in some of the exemplary city centre developments and bringing it to life in the suburbs. We’ve worked at real pace to bring forward the Neighbourhood plans to meet Bolton’s growing housing need.”
With success in Manchester with communities including Kampus and Crusader, shedkm and Capital&Centric are well-known for their historic restorations and creative new builds – ‘Neighbourhood’ sees them venture together into the suburbs, with their first fully new build project.