The Collegiate School, designed by harvey Lonsdale Elmes in 1843, is an imposing neo gothic red sandstone structure with an octagonal theatre to the rear. Since final closure as a school in 1986, the building had suffered extensive fire damage and numerous unrealised refurbishment schemes had been proposed for the building, but all failed to reconcile the substantial regeneration costs with a new use. shedkm’s proposals transformed the school into 95 one and two bedroom apartments, through an approach of discerning conservation – preserving only the important elements of the building.
The proposed accommodation is arranged around four double height storeys – at the front relating to the existing window openings, and to the back to the new openings and balconies. From the rear, the building begins to reflect its new use through the language of these new elements.